Saturday, June 9, 2012

I Really Miss the Green and Gold


As the Oklahoma City Thunder march through the NBA playoffs, the emotions of Sonic fans are running pretty high.  It’s not just that the team formerly known as the Seattle Supersonics is winning games, but they appear to be a team that could be really good for a really long time.  

This is a team that would have been fun to root for.

But I can’t.

A couple of the players are there, but I just can’t seem to invest myself in those guys like they were still wearing the green and gold.

What colors are those that they wear now anyway?


The Sonics were always fun to watch.  Even when they weren’t very good, they were entertaining.  They played the game with passion and energy.

Kind of like these Thunder guys actually.

I can remember watching the original Seattle big three (original for me anyway), Tom Chambers, Dale Ellis, and Xavier McDaniel.

Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton. 

Detlef Schrempf and Sam Perkins. 

Vin Baker.  Rashard Lewis.  Ray Allen. 

The list goes on and on of great Sonics I saw play.  That list doesn’t even include the heroes of the only league championship the city of Seattle has seen in major pro sports, the 1979 NBA champs.

That list doesn’t include my favorite player of all time.

Downtown Freddy Brown.

All that history.

Because of that history, I can understand why there are former Sonic fans out there that migrated to the Midwest with the team; Fans that just couldn’t bring themselves to stop cheering for the team because the uniform changed.  They wanted to hold on to some piece of that history.

A little piece of themselves.

I’m not one of those fans.  Sometimes I wish I was, but I’m not.

I’m a Sonic fan, not a Thunder fan.


I haven’t rooted for an NBA team since 2008 and won’t until there are players flying Sonic colors in the Emerald City.

I would feel like a traitor if I started cheering for another team.

I guess I hold out hope for that day when the Sonics are in the league again.

But as former Sonics Kevin Durant and Nick Collison move on to the NBA finals, I can’t help but wonder, “What if?”

What if?

Man, it would have been nice to root for this team.

If only they were wearing the right colors.


.


No comments:

Post a Comment